Friday 7 September 2012

Why I love this city!

I haven't even been here 24 hours yet and already strange things are happening. Here is a quick summary:

- Have (obviously) met my host. He's very lovely, inclusive and interesting. He has already given me a very strict lesson on French men. Haha!

- His girlfriend is beautiful and an absolute sweetheart.

- I love my little room and have unpacked all my stuff (I'm here for six weeks after all!)

- I have been invited to the party of my host's ex-girlfriend who just got married, and is celebrating the event here at his house. (Apparently they are still friends).

- Have kicked off the eating of many ridiculously unhealthy and glorious things with the chocolate tart below. Do you think it's rich enough? I dunno. Could have more cream / chocolate.

It begins...

- Have had a poem written for me by a random guy on the street. Yes, really. He offered to give me a tour of the cemetery near here (which is not as creepy as it sounds; it's a tourist attraction - Chopin, Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison are buried there.)

- Have also been taken to tea and given a whopping bag of samples by a random pharmacist. Yes, really. I figured tea couldn't hurt, and I could practice my French. I'm not doing too badly in that department for someone who has just spent the better part of 30 hours getting here.

- Am blaming my new Alannah Hill hair clip and purple beret for the peculiar attention (although JSeb attributed it to my decolletage - only, I had my decolletage last time too and nothing much happened then!). I got a few weird looks (mostly from women - they dislike me) at my beret, probably because it was about 23 degrees. But for an Aussie, that's not really that hot, so if your hair needs washing and there's a cool breeze - chuck on a beanie.

The purple beanie / hairclip combo appears to be a hit with les garçons français

- Hence, lessons from JSeb re: French men. Men are the same everywhere though, essentially. They're all after the same thing. I get it. Although, it's actually nicer to be told that you are "magnifique" than to have obscenities screamed at you from a truck window.

- Bought a cookbook that features only recipes make with and from Nutella. Maja - I'm thinking of you!

A valuable addition to every kitchen

- Have formed a love / hate relationship with JSeb's poodle, Bob. Bob is ADORABLE, and totally knows it. When I got home today he was here alone and came straight up to greet me. I was having trouble getting the key out of the lock and so he started sooking, making whimpering noises because I wasn't patting him. Eventually, he gave up, and went and curled up on the couch to sulk.

When I sorted out the lock I went to have a chat with Bob, only he wasn't prepared to reciprocate anymore. I gave up and came upstairs and got changed. When I opened my door again, lo and behold, there was little Bob, sitting nonchalantly outside my door. He haughtily sauntered into my room for a brief cuddle, but spent much of his time staring solemnly out the window. (See picture below.) It's a hard life.

 J'aime Bob!

- I have managed to stay awake all day despite the fact that I arrived at 8am this morning after a double flight and a decent layover. I guess Paris was just too exciting! I'm starting to fade badly now though... *yawn*

So that's all for now. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. God help me when I put on my red lipstick!!

Luv moi xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment